Apply For Horizons
Welcome to the 2018 Horizons Huntsman Leadership Summit application. You can access the application here.
The application is due no later than 11:59 pm, on Jan. 31, 2018.
Decision letters will be sent in March and a final acceptance will be due in April.
If you have any questions, please contact the Horizons Team, at email@example.com.
Horizons 2018 Program Dates
The Sigma Chi Horizons selection committee will select 48 undergraduates for each of the 5 sessions based upon the following criteria:
- Availability for any or all of the sessions listed above;
- Have two full scholastic years remaining in your undergraduate studies as of May 31, 2018;
- Willingness and commitment to participate in pre and post event surveys, activities and assignments;
- Completion of the Online Application (including receipt of all attachments and a letter of reference) by the end of the day Jan. 31, 2018;
- Good academic, financial and Sigma Chi member standing; and
- Initiated by May 31, 2018.
2018 Essay Questions
1. Describe a meaningful life lesson learned from another person and how it has shaped you. (300 words or less)
2. Which of your core vlaues do you believe plays the most important role in defining a successful leader and why? (300 words or less)
3. Describe both your proudest momment and deepest regret and how these have shaped you. (400 words or less)
4. During a chapter house party, you notice Jackie, the ex-girlfriend of your big brother Kevin (a junior and the chapter's annotator), drinking out of a flask. At one point she stumbles to you to say that she really misses Kevin and you believe she might be slurring her speech. Towards the end of the party, you notice Jackie and Kevin intimately dancing together. After the song finishes, Kevin wraps his arms around Jacke and guides her upstairs to his room. You ask him if Jackie is okay and he says, "I'll take care of her." What are the relevant issues? What action, if any, would you take and why?
The Horizons Selection Committee is seeking our most qualified and best young Brothers to apply. Our program remains a competitive selection process blind to chapter affiliation.
Program attendees will be selected through a review of applications meeting all Candidate Requirements, focusing on biographical information, personal essay questions, and a reference letter. You must be eager, willing and available to attend the entire program.
Thanks to the generous contributions of many Sigma Chi Brothers to the Sigma Chi Foundation, Participants are awarded a scholarship of $2700 to cover the full cost of their experience. Horizons and the Sigma Chi Foundation will pay for all on-site food, lodging, and meeting costs. Any incidental expenses will be the responsibility of each attendee.
Participants begin their experiences in an on-site immersion of whole-brained learning that engages their minds and bodies.
As a participant, you will explore the inner territories of leadership:
- How leadership is directly linked to your values and character
- How you can incorporate high-minded values into a lifelong practice of leadership
- How you can discover and utilize your full potential
A team of Sigma Chi alumni faculty who have been carefully chosen and intensively trained to guide the Horizons program, and who share your commitment to self-improvement, will guide you. You will learn from your guide, the other undergraduates, and from yourself.
Horizons will unfold amid the splendor of Snowbird, Utah, an ideal setting for outdoor adventure, interactive learning, and inspired reflection. It will push you to think and act differently. The experience is just a first step, it is the beginning of a personal journey that will change you, and in so doing, change our world.